Sherlyn Polonia sherlyn polonia

Sherlyn was only 2 years old when she died of suspected cocaine overdose. It is thought that the child’s mother and her boyfriend would prepare cocaine in Sherlyn’s room where she would sleep and play. Thinking it was candy Sherlyn ate the cocaine. Police were called to the home to find Sherlyn on the couch dead. She was brought to  the Children's Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.

 

Polonia's niece dead from drug od
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/59543.htm

TRAGIC YANKEE NIECE
By DOUGLAS MONTERO, PHILIP MESSING and MARSHA KRANES

BX. TOT EATS COKE, DIES
A 2-year-old niece of former Yankee player Luis Polonia died after swallowing cocaine left around her Bronx apartment by her mother's suspected-drug-dealer boyfriend, police said.

Relatives of Sherlyn Polonia said yesterday they were appalled when investigators broke the horrific news to them.

"I couldn't believe it when they told us that the reason the baby died was because there was cocaine in her blood," said the little girl's great-uncle, Abel Almontes. "We never expected this to happen in our family."

He said Sherlyn's father, José Polonia, lives in Santiago, Dominican Republic, and is the brother of outfielder Luis Polonia, who retired after the 2000 season.

Luis Polonia, who was playing in the Dominican Winter League playoffs this week, could not be reached for comment.

 

2 Are Arrested in Bronx Death of 2-Year-Old

By MANNY FERNANDEZ and KAREEM FAHIM
Published: January 27, 2006
A Bronx woman and her live-in companion were charged yesterday in connection with the death of the woman's 2-year-old daughter, who was found unconscious in an apartment where the police said they discovered a large amount of cocaine.

An autopsy completed yesterday on the girl, Sherlyn Polonia, was inconclusive and further testing was still being done. Initial tests at the hospital where the girl was taken indicated that she might have ingested cocaine, a law enforcement official said. The official said the companion, Johnny Carvajal, had two prior arrests for drug possession and prepared the cocaine in the same room where Sherlyn slept.

The police were called on Wednesday morning to the Bronx apartment where Sherlyn lived with her mother, Johanna Bare, and Mr. Carvajal. Sherlyn was on a couch and she was not breathing, the police said. She was pronounced dead at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center.

Prompted by evidence that Sherlyn may have had cocaine in her system, the police went back to the apartment Wednesday night with a search warrant and found more than four ounces of cocaine, the law enforcement official said. Mr. Carvajal, 47, and Ms. Bare, 23, were charged with drug possession, endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangerment.

A spokeswoman for the city's child welfare agency, the Administration for Children's Services, said that the agency had had no previous contact with Sherlyn's family and had received no allegations of abuse or neglect.

Sherlyn's 6-year-old brother was in the care of the child welfare agency, which was trying to find a relative to take in the boy. The police said he was not injured.

Sherlyn lived in a red-brick, six-story apartment building in the Norwood section of the Bronx, in a small, fourth-floor unit. No one answered a knock on the apartment door yesterday. Neighbors said that Ms. Bare and her two children had been living there for about a year. One man who lives on the third floor, and who did not want to give his name, recalled seeing the little girl playing with other children during the summer on the wide concrete steps outside. Sherlyn, he said, was "very happy, and beautiful, too."

The death of Sherlyn came one day after a Bronx mother was accused by the police of trying to drown her 5-month-old daughter in the bathtub.

 

The two year old Bronx child, Sherlyn Polonia, who died of a heart attack may have swallowed cocaine she found in her room because she thought it was candy. The mother, Johanna Bare, and her boyfriend, Johnny Carvajal, were arrested for drug possession, child endangerment, and reckless endangerment - and police say that Carvajal prepared cocaine in the baby's room. Gothamist doesn't know how much of these tragic stories we can take. Newsday reports that Bare thought that Sherlyn simply had a fever, but later she was vomiting white fluid and that's when EMT was summoned; after the child died, doctors were alarmed by tests that showed she had opiates in her system and then contacted the NYPD. This craziness goes beyond what child welfare can do - how can it end? Or even just get a little bit better?

The grandmother, Maria Almonte, is blaming Carvajal for the tragedy. The Post says that Sherlyn is also the niece of former NY Yankee Luis Polonia

back to top

Thank you for visiting Unforgotten Children!