Marc Anthony BookalMarc Bookal

Marc was a loved, sweet little 4 year old when he was ripped away from this world. Marc had gone missing December 14, 2009. Searches were conducted but had to be halted due to weather. They were resumed when the snow melted. In March of 2010 the remains of Marc were discovered and later identified by DNA testing.


April 21st, 2010
Remains identified as Marc Anthony Bookal

Marc Anthony Bookal

By Chuck Stewart, Jr.

Newburgh -

City of Newburgh police confirmed late Friday that the child’s body they found three weeks ago was that of four-year-old Marc Anthony Bookal. They further stated that the cause of death is homicide.

The announcement was made after police received the test results from the state police lab along with the results from the autopsy conducted by the Orange County medical examiner.

Police contacted Marc Anthony’s parents, Christina and Yul Bookal, around noon Friday, asking them to come to the police station. That’s when they received the bad news: the body found on March 24 in a wooded lot near Colden Street was that of Marc Anthony Bookal.

Marc Anthony was last seen in December while in the care of Christina’s boyfriend Corey Byrd. The child had stayed home from school that day and was at their home on Benkard Avenue when, according to Byrd, the child wandered off.

Corey Byrd was initially charged with endangering the welfare of a child, however those charges were dropped by the District Attorney. Byrd is currently behind bars for a parole violation.

Friday afternoon both parents wanted answers. Who would do such a thing? Why would they do this to a four-year-old? Why?

Perhaps one day the grieving parents will be able to confront the killer of their baby. For now, they turn their attention to making funeral arrangements.

As the police continue their investigation, they continue to call upon the community, asking anyone with information about this case to contact them at 569-7508.


NEW YORK (CBS 2/WCBS 880) – The man long suspected of being Marc Bookal’s killer was charged with murder Wednesday afternoon in the death of the 4-year-old Orange C0unty boy.

District Attorney Frank Phillips said Byrd, the boyfriend of Bookal’s mother, has been charged with four counts of homicide and two counts of tampering with physical evidence.

“Obviously a very tragic event when anybody dies as a result of a homicide, compounded extraordinarily when that victim is 4 years of age,” he told reporters including WCBS 880′s Catherine Cioffi.



6:04 p.m. EST, February 16, 2011
NEWBURGH, N.Y. (WPIX)— A New Jersey man has been charged in the beating death of his girlfriend's 4-year-old son, whose body was found in a wooded area three months after he was first reported missing.

According to an indictment unsealed Wednesday, 31-year-old Cory Byrd is being charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and evidence tampering in the murder of Marc Bookal.

Prosecutors allege that Byrd beat the child to death on Dec. 14 2009 and later hid the body in the woods not far from the family's Newburgh home. Byrd, who was supposed to be watching the child at the time, initially told detectives that the boy had gone to visit a neighbor and never returned.

Byrd, who is already in jail for a parole violation, will be officially arraigned on murder charges when he finishes his current sentence, officials said.


WCBS 880′s Catherine Cioffi gets the details on the charges from the Orange County D.A.

Phillips said Bookal died as a result of “blunt force trauma” and “numerous injuries” throughout his body and head.

The young boy’s biological father spoke with CBS 2′s Lou Young spoke Wednesday and vowed to be at the Byrd’s murder trial.

“Even if I lose my job, I’ve got be there. If I have be at the court, I don’t care, I got to be there for my son. I got to represent him. He’s dead, he can’t represent himself,” Yul Bookal said.

“He’s just an evil [expletive]. He need to be put to death. I wish New York had the death penalty,” the boy’s father told Young.

Authorities said the reason for the child’s killing remained a mystery.

“At this point motive is speculative as it is in most homicide cases. There is no rational explanation for causing the death of a 4 year-old child,” Phillips said.

The young boy disappeared in December of 2009. His remains were found last March.

The parents and friends of the little boy held his funeral on April 23, 2010, four months after his disappearance.

Police believed the child was murdered before Christmas, but the remains weren’t discovered until after the weather warmed and snow melted.

Byrd was seen with Bookal in the last image anyone had seen of the boy – a surveillance video taken days before Christmas. Byrd claimed the child vanished, but his past record of child abuse and reluctance to cooperate with police made them skeptical.

“What could a little four-year-old boy have done to make you kill him?” Yul Bookal said at the funeral last year. “I’m trying to make sense out of it, but it makes no sense.”

back to top

Thank you for visiting Unforgotten Children!