Christian Alexander StricklandChristian Strickland

Christian was 9 years old when he attended a fishing camp were he was able to swim often. A week later when he was home he started to complain of a headache. Christian quickly became worse. The next morning he could not get out of bed. He would loose consciousness then look at his mother like he didn’t know who she was or what she was saying. She immediately brought him where he would be hospitalized. Within three days, on August 5, 2011 Christian was declared brain dead. Christian would have been starting the third grade. He was said to be an outgoing child that was an “Angel” with a giving heart and sensitive spirit! He would call himself a “Double Christian”. His last words that he said very often were. “I love you, Mommy”.

Christian’s loving mother has informed us that she had him cremated and he sits in a very beautiful urn with pictures of him through out his life on every side. She also carries him around her neck in a precious locket urn around her neck along with a finger print charm!   
I want to take the time to personally Thank Mrs. Strickland for letting me share Christian’s and her story with everyone here.


An Epidemiologist by the name of Dr. Keri Hall stated that Christian died of a deadly infection from an amoeba. A microscopic bug found in fresh water. The amoeba swims up the nose and enters the brain. They thrive in shallow, stagnant water when it gets warm. She went on to say “Should people be concerned about this?" asked Hall. "Our goal is to make people aware, make people aware that this amoeba exists, [and also] make people aware that it's an exceptionally low risk." Hall says there are ways to protect yourself, even though infection is so rare. She says if you plan to swim in warm, stagnant water, do not put your head underwater or wear nose clips to stop water from going up your nose.

 

Findagrave.com
Birth:  May 3, 2002
Fairfield
Solano County
California, USA
Death:  Aug. 5, 2011
Virginia, USA

Christian Alexander Strickland, 9, of Glen Allen, born May 3, 2002 in Fairfield, Calif., was called on to begin his walk with the Lord Friday, August 5, 2011. Christian was to begin the third grade at Glen Allen Elementary School. Christian never knew a stranger, and those who had a chance to meet him from his many travels knew what an angel he was. He attended a variety of Sunday schools and proudly called himself a double Christian. With his giving heart and sensitive spirit, we believe most important to Christian were his last words, "I love you, Mommy." He said those words the most. He was loved by all of his friends and family. He is survived by his parents, Michael and Amber Strickland; his grandmothers, Mary Strickland and Regina Rands; great-grandmothers, Elizabeth Strickland and Dixie Dahl; several devoted uncles and aunts. The family will receive friends 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Bliley's-Staples Mill, 8510 Staples Mill Rd., where services will be held at 2 p.m. The family wishes to express their appreciation to Dr. Arif Alam and the staff at PICU of Chippenham Hospital for their love and dedication to Christian.


Burial:
Unknown- (Correction - Christian's loving mother informed us that he was creamated. See above.)

Created by: Randy Shepherd
Record added: Aug 17, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 75063540

 

 

Angela Pellerano

CBS 6 News Anchor/Reporter

12:29 p.m. EDT, August 17, 2011
HENRICO COUNTY, VA (WTVR) – A Henrico County boy's mother is talking about her son's sudden death after he came in contact with a rare amoeba or microscopic bug found in stagnant lakes, ponds and rivers.

A state epidemiologist says several million swimmers could be exposed to the parasite Naegleria every day, but that very few people ever become infected.

The infection's rarity makes Christian Strickland's death even more bewildering for his mother.

"I feel like he made me a better person…  and I'm sad that he's gone," said Amber Strickland. "I miss him more and more everyday -- and I feel like I'm losing it."

Strickland says her 9-year-old son died four days after complaining of a headache about a week after attending a fishing camp where he was often in the water.

The morning after the headache, Strickland says her son became worse.

"The next morning he doesn't want to get out of bed, he's falling asleep in an instant and then he looks at me like 'who am I and what words are coming out of my mouth?' Then I got scared and called his pediatrician," said Strickland.

Christian was immediately hospitalized and within three days was brain dead.

State Epidemiologist Dr. Keri Hall says Strickland died of a deadly infection from an amoeba, a microscopic bug found in fresh water, which swims up the nose and enters the brain. She says amoebas thrive in shallow, stagnant water when it gets warm.

Hall says a deadly infection from an amoeba is rare. In fact, the last known case in Virginia was in 1969.

"Should people be concerned about this?" asked Hall. "Our goal is to make people aware, make people aware that this amoeba exists, [and also] make people aware that it's an exceptionally low risk."

Hall says there are ways to protect yourself, even though infection is so rare. She says if you plan to swim in warm, stagnant water, do not put your head underwater or wear nose clips to stop water from going up your nose.

back to top

Thank you for visiting Unforgotten Children!